How Can Pelvic Physical Therapy Help During Pregnancy?
Despite what you may have been told, pain or peeing yourself is NOT just a part of being pregnant, and there is something you can do about it.
- Physical Therapy can help prevent issues from occurring: We can assess core activation and coordination, abdominal pressure management, strain to the pelvic floor, and movement patterns to help prevent issues down the line like pain, prolapse, and incontinence.
- PT can treat issues that are already occurring: You may already be experiencing some not-so-pleasant things as your pregnancy progresses. Some examples of issues that commonly occur during pregnancy include back pain, incontinence, tailbone pain, pain with intercourse, feelings of pressure or heaviness, etc. We treat all of those things!
- PT addresses exercise or exercise modification: Exercise during pregnancy is wonderful, (and recommended!) but it is important to ensure that exercise is performed safely and in a manner that supports your body. Checking in with a PT during pregnancy can help to ensure that we are doing just that. Everyone’s body is different. Exercise during pregnancy should be modified to support your body’s individual needs. There is no one size fits all.
- PT helps to prepare for labor and delivery: You deserve to be prepared for labor! Toward the end of your pregnancy, we work on things to prepare your body for labor and delivery, and we help to navigate what to expect.
- PT helps to prepare you for postpartum recovery: We hear from moms all the time, “ Nobody prepared me for what happens to my body AFTER the baby comes. Or, “ After I gave birth, I was given no support for the next step.” We can talk through the process of recovery, as well as recommend equipment to have on hand. We also want to discuss recommendations for both vaginal and cesarean recovery.
If you are interested in trying pelvic PT during pregnancy or if you have questions, contact us today!