What to Expect at Your First Pelvic Floor PT Appointment
If your provider has suggested pelvic floor physical therapy, and you have no clue what it is or what to expect, you are not alone! Most people who come to us for the first time often have a lot of questions about what we actually do or how it may help them. Coming to your first appointment can feel scary, so we’ve put together some information that may help you prepare.
What does your first appointment look like?
- All treatment sessions are held with your therapist in a private treatment room.
- Treatment sessions are one-on-one with your therapist, however, we welcome partners or support people if you choose to have one. We are also kid-friendly.
- We do a lot of talking! These appointments are for you, so we want to hear your story. We will talk about your symptoms, talk about and understand your goals, listen to your concerns, and provide education.
- We explain the purpose, procedure, and benefits of different treatment methods.
- We perform an assessment to determine a foundation for your treatment moving forward. This may include an internal assessment to look at your pelvic floor muscles (there are many,) as well as the tissues, organs, and structures within your pelvis. This assessment is often much less invasive than your typical pelvic exam. We do not use a speculum or other devices. We consider trauma-informed care as our standard of care. Ultimately, your comfort, safety, and security are our number one priority.
- From there, we provide information and recommendations regarding future treatment sessions, we discuss how often we would like to see you, and we will probably give you some homework to do at home between treatments.
The most important thing to know is that your appointment is about YOU and for YOU. We center treatment based on your specific needs.
We will always recommend what we believe will be effective and beneficial for you, but you are in the driver’s seat. We value and support your thoughts, feelings, experiences, and boundaries. We welcome and respect your ability to share what you are and are not comfortable with. Our pelvic floor specialists are here to provide holistic, evidence-based care to address your needs, and we strive to create a safe environment in which you can heal.
Do you believe that Pelvic Floor Therapy could be for you? Give us a call and get scheduled today! 719-466-6800